Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Great Expectations

In Poker, and in Life, nothing is more relevant to how a person feels, to their mood, than what they feel they expect.

What they feel "entitled to".

And here, before the first card hits the felt, inside the Amazon Room, you can sense what a person feels entitled to by their demeanor, the looks on their faces.

The pros walking around as if they don't care at all, they are above it, the field so big the results don't really matter. They won't be disappointed. They have already made their bones. And they are acting as if this is just another tourney. Trying for all their might, to lower the burden of expectation. But, no one is fooled. Even I can read that tell.

And then there are the true dreamers who somehow won a 24$ tourney online, or a year long points system in their hometown rotating garages. And they show up, huge smiles, matching t-shirts "Team Patty", more excited than ever. BEING HERE AT ALL surpasses their wildest "expectation" of what they are entitled to. And their joy is palpable. I know, because I once wore that same smile and same t-shirt.

Unfortunately, that day is long gone for me.

I live in the middle.

I can't act as if it doesn't matter, but I also am not happy just being here. I carry the expectation and burden of success. I've done it. Two deep runs. I know it can be done. Anything less, just being here, brings the drag of another year of failed hopes.

Here we go.......

No comments:

Post a Comment